You are hereJob Search

Job Search

Table of contents
Where to find available jobs ?
List of vacancy databases
Recruitment companies / agencies
Recognition of higher education
Checklist / What to do before start working

Where to find available jobs ?

Research shows that as much as 60 % of all available jobs are never advertised through the regular channels. This number may be a bit too high, but the fact remains that many vacancies are never published.

How do you find jobs that are not advertised? Be creative and use as many different channels as possible. Take direct contact with employers and send open applications or presentations of your qualifications. If you already have contacts in Norway, use them to get information about job seeking.

Often there will be many applicants for jobs that have been advertised. You will find many of these advertisements in Norwegian newspapers, but it is becoming increasingly common to use the Internet as a channel for advertising. Many vacancies are now only published via company web sites, and some companies will only accept applications submitted through their own electronic application system.

Trade unions can also be good sources of information. Use Internet search engines and branch registers such as the Norwegian Yellow Pages (, to find relevant company web sites and contact information.

The largest Norwegian vacancy database is, but there are several others. You can also call the NAV Service Centre EURES on tel.: +47 800 33 166 to ask about vacancies.


List of vacancy databases:

  7. www.ingeniø
  12. www.jobbsø
  22. (English)

Recruitment companies / agencies:


Recognition of higher education:

If you have a higher education, it is recommended that you apply for general recognition of your education before/when you apply for jobs in Norway. The Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education (NOKUT) provides general recognition (level and scope) of higher education from other countries. This means that NOKUT can grant you credits and, if applicable, provide general recognition of your education/degree as being equivalent to a university college degree, Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree, or a PhD degree. See for further information.


Checklist / What to do before start working:

Residence permits: If you intend to work in Norway for more than three months, you will need to registrate with the police.

Contact the local police office or a Service Centre for Foreign Workers , to apply. Bring a valid passport and/or ID-card and your working contract.

Special rules apply for nationals from the new EEA-member countries Bulgaria and Romania. You will need to apply for a residence permit, and may start working as soon as you have submitted an accurately completed application with all the necessary documents enclosed.

Check with the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration for more information about how to apply and for actual forms.

Tax card and national ID-number: When you work for a Norwegian employer you are required to pay tax here. Therefore you will also need to apply for a tax deduction card at the tax assessment office where you live. To do so you will need to present your passport, as well as complete an application form ("Skjema RF-1209"). Also bring a valid residence permit if you have one. Once you have been issued a tax deduction card, you should give this to your employer.

Together with your Tax card you will also apply for a national ID-number or D-number (for persons residing in Norway 6 months or less). The national ID-number or D-number is stated on your tax deduction card and is used to identify you to the authorities.

If you will be staying in Norway for more than 6 months, you will need to report a change of address at your local tax office.

If you are in Oslo, you might apply for both a tax card and the ID- or D-number as well as report the change of address to The National Population Registry at the Service Centre for Foreign Workers.

Bank: In order to receive your salary, you need to open a Norwegian bank account. Note that most banks will require an ID-number or D-number as well as your passport as identification. Also bring your working contract. It is a good idea to check with more than one bank to get the best terms.

National Insurance: As a rule all persons working in Norway are automatically insured under the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme from their first day of work. This is administered by the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Service (NAV). You can obtain further information at your local NAV office.

As an employee you are obliged to pay a national insurance contribution. This amounts to 7.8 per cent of your wages, and is deducted together with tax withholdings. If you do not pay tax to Norway, the national insurance contribution is to be paid to your local NAV office. As a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme you will be entitled to benefits according to the Norwegian national insurance legislation. If, for example, you need to see a doctor, you are entitled to use the Norwegian health services in the same way as residents of Norway.

If you wish to apply for a Norwegian Health Insurance Card, or need information on health services, please contact the NAV Health Service Administration Service Centre.

If you are entitled to child benefits or cash benefit you will need to apply for this at your local NAV office.